Safeguarding Adults

If you have a concern about an adult at risk of abuse and they are in immediate danger you should contact the relevant emergency services by ringing 999.

If the adult you are concerned about is not in immediate danger you should report your concern to Milton Keynes Council Adult Social Care.

Safeguarding protects an adult’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. It is about people and organisations working together to prevent and stop both the risks and experience of abuse or neglect, while at the same time making sure that the adult’s wellbeing is promoted.

An adult at risk is someone who:  

  • is experiencing, or at risk of, abuse or neglect
  • as a result of those care and support needs is unable to protect themselves from either the risk of, or the experience of abuse or neglect

Abuse can take many forms, including:

  • Physical abuse
  • Domestic violence
  • Sexual abuse
  • Psychological abuse
  • Financial or material abuse
  • Modern slavery
  • Discriminatory abuse
  • Organisational abuse
  • Neglect and acts of omission
  • Self-neglect
  • Hate crime

Abuse can occur anywhere at any time and can be carried out by anyone, it can be a single act, repeated acts over a period of time or due to a failure to act (neglect). It can happen to one person, or several people at the same time.

Anyone can report abuse. You should do this by telephone, email or by completing an alert form (Professionals MUST complete this form).

If you are not sure if abuse is happening, you can contact Adult Social Care Access Team (ASCAT) – Milton Keynes to discuss your concerns.

Safeguarding Children

Safeguarding is the action that is taken to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm.

Safeguarding means:

  • Protecting children from abuse and maltreatment
  • Preventing harm to children’s health or development
  • Ensuring children grow up with the provision of safe and effective care
  • Taking action to enable all children and young people to have the best outcomes.

If you have concerns about the welfare of a child then this should be reported to the Milton Keynes Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 01908 253169 / 01908 253170.

Are you caring for someone?

Do you look after someone who cannot manage without you because they are ill, frail or have a disability? 

If so, you are a carer and Carers MK can help you.